Sunday, March 5, 2017

Day Two The Ponderosa II

Wow, life does have a way of derailing one's intentions.  So much for blogging as our trip progressed! Two days before we took off, I had a scratchy throat and was coughing.  I imagine a day breathing 'airplane-air' did little to help my oncoming cold, and by the time we landed and got to our hotel I was congested and slightly feverish.  However, being a true Little Joe fan and following the example of my hero - I pushed on until I nearly killed myself!  LOL  Thanks to a steady regimen of modern Doc Martin remedies (Advil, Tylenol3, Cepacol cough drops and throat spray, and the 21st century equivalent of Laudanum, namely Nyquil) I soldiered on, enjoying and thoroughly wearing myself out the first day.

NOTHING was going to stop me getting to the Ponderosa.  Hey, I knew Hop Sing would have some herbal tea waiting.

Photo of Hop Sing from the Ponderosa II


Our hacienda

The resort



Anyhow, we gathered in front of the main lobby of the hotel the next morning - immediately meeting other fans - and were on our way - but not before we had breakfast on the terrace, Sonya freaked about some bird's following nature on the awning above us (that's what you get for traveling with a city girl!), and she had to be reassured that if she plucked an orange the Arizona Golf Resort police wouldn't come cart her away.  (I lied, of course, I had no idea whether they would or not!  LOL  Though I doubted they were going to miss an orange and she was so excited.)  



The Ponderosa-mobile.  LOL


And then it was off to the Ponderosa!  


It is hard to describe the moment when we pulled up to Lorne Greene's home.  So many emotions - childish and adult!  What a dream come true for that little girl who wanted to visit the Cartwrights, as well as for the adult fan - and the historian.  Not only is this house a replica in part of the Cartwrights' home, it was a vacation home for Lorne Greene and his wife.  It was also visited by Dan Blocker and Michael Landon.  There was just so much rolled up into one moment.  

Louise Swann

Stepping through the door took me back to being a little kid.  There it was - the HUGE fireplace, the settee Little Joe so often bled on (no blood stains, though, I checked!), the staircase to nowhere, Ben's office, and the dining room.  Lorne Greene built the front part of the house as an exact replica of the Cartwright's home and then decorated it the same.  Louise and Tom Swann, our wonderful hosts, are the perfect custodians of Lorne's dream.  They have restored the Ponderosa II to its former glory and have done so in honor of the Greene's and their fans.  We walked in the door and Louise said, in so many words, "The house is yours!"  We were able to go almost anywhere at any time and made to feel as if we were at home.  

Talk about this 1950s/60s little kid's dream coming true! 

The ten ton fireplace (almost literally!) 

The gun rack

Ben's office

The dining room


The well out back

The view toward the staircase to nowhere



Cheryl Robb from Australia - how cool is this!???

On the Cartwrights' porch, geraniums and all

Sonya in Ben's chair

Marla in Adam's

At the dinner table.

During the day there were introductions, old friends found and new ones made, watching of episodes in Lorne Greene's sun room, steer roping contests (yes, that's me roping a steer - I got two horns!), supper and more.  We had an absolute blast!  Our hosts made certain everyone had the time of their lives! 


Lorne's sun room where we watched - what else? - Bonanza! 


 Roping that steer


Relaxing at supper

This was also the day we were introduced to the auction room and found Little Joe waiting for us.  More on his journey soon. 


After supper it was back to the room for my first night of 'paying the piper' which included a high fever and a heck of a lot of coughing.  We chose to stay in the hotel what morning so I could rest up, and then it was back to the Ponderosa. 

Next time: Going to the dance with Joe! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment